Christmas is just around the corner and it’s a wonderful, heart-warming time for family, friends, and giving.
Perhaps you like giving to others, or you prefer giving to yourself, it is without a doubt a great time to reward yourself and your loved ones for an awesome year. It’s a time to appreciate the accomplishments, lessons learned and look forward to a new and amazing year.
At MalaysianStudent.com, we’re totally into consumer tech, and we’ve got a list of recommended gadgets for every type of person in your life in your life!
Image Credit: DigitalTrends
Every one of us has a friend who feels the need to snapchat and document every waking moment of their lives. Watching our friends’ snaps are mostly entertaining, but there is one main frustration- and that is snaps with a lower pixel quality than those taken with a superior phone camera. This is most noticeable in snaps taken at night or in areas with low lighting.
We highly recommend a phone which excels in pixel quality as well as in dim lighting.
The Apple iPhone 7 is our first choice for the following reasons:
-Dual Cameras with a 2x zoom
- Front-facing camera has also upgraded to 7 megapixels
- Auto Image stabilization- no more shaky hands when taking selfies!But, what if you’re not an Apple fan? No worries- we’ve got you covered with Google Pixel.You can check out the review HERE, which shows that it can go toe to toe with all its competitors.
The Apple iPhone 7 and 7 Plus retails from $895 (RM 3,938) and $1,048 (RM4,611.20) respectively at Amazon, and the Google Pixel and Pixel XL retails from $1,109 (RM4,879.60) and $1,359 (RM 5,979.60) on Amazon.
Instagram is a reflection of your personality and to get the best results, many are taking their commitment to this social media platform to the next level by opting to use cameras instead of their smartphones.
Now, not everyone can afford an expensive DSLR camera to fulfill their Instagram aesthetic needs, but there is quite a few great digital camera out there that capture amazing shots
The Sony A6000 is a great option for those who want an affordable, quality camera.
The Sony A6000
- Has a quick auto-focus for perfect motion shots
- APS-C size sensor: basically super clear and detailed images can look great even when you zoom in.
- Wifi Capabilities- so you can upload your pictures straight to Instagram.
Most of us fall into either category these days.
Whether you identify as a blogger who has brands knocking on your metaphorical door, asking you to do a review on them or a workaholic who finds inspiration at Starbucks, libraries, and cafes, the appeal of a light, yet powerful laptop is universal.
Whether you are a professional or part-time blogger, or just enjoy doing your work at cafes, libraries or Starbucks, a light, yet powerful laptop is a requirement.
Slim = Sexy and powerful – what more can you ask for?
If you have a friend or sibling who falls into this category, think no more and get this device as their Christmas gift this year! I can guarantee you that it would be one of the most memorable Christmas gifts they have received.
First off, this slim piece of machinery weighs only 1.1kg. That’s like, a big roti canai .
- Bang & Olufsen speakers
- Full HD IPS display
- three USB type-c ports
- 9 hours of battery life( a life saver if you don’t have a power outlet available!)
The ages, platforms, backgrounds and platforms involved in games these days is virtually endless.
There is no doubt that the most sought after the platform is the PlayStation. Many of us grew up with one and we have a sense of nostalgia attached to it.
The PlayStation 4 Pro is an upcoming iteration of the PlayStation 4, and promises “support for 4K HDR gaming”, and to exceed the processing power and speed of the latter.
The PlayStation 4 Pro is the newest version of the PlayStation 4 and offers:
- Support for 4K HDR gaming
- “Pro” mode – which means improved resolution and increased texture and effects (even if you don;t own a 4K TV). This results in a more immersive gaming experience.
- A great companion for the PlayStation VR
Drones in Malaysia aren’t as common as they are in other countries like the US, but there is no doubt that they are quickly becoming quite popular among Malaysians
Also, a lot of professionals – from videographers to photographers who rely on camera-mounted drones to capture shots that simply cannot be accomplished with ladders or really long arms.
Laws regarding drones Malaysia are thankfully not restrictive:
- You cannot fly higher than 400 feet (122 meters)
- You cannot fly near people not associated with flying the drone or over crowds
- You must fly during daylight hours and only fly in good weather conditions
- Do not fly your drone
- If you are flying a drone that weighs more than 20kg you must hold a private pilot’s license and obtain a permit for every flight you intend to operate. You can obtain a permit by contacting the Malaysia aviation authority through the contact information at the bottom of this page.
- For the new drone enthusiast, the DJI Mavic Pro is a great option for an affordable drone with an ultra high-quality camera.
The drone comes with autonomous navigation features, which makes piloting extremely easy – especially for beginners. Its battery has also been tested to last an impressive 27 minutes and gives its users super-sharp 4k shots.
The DJI Mavik comes with:
- Autonomous navigating features, making it extremely easy to pilot for newbies.
- Flies 40mph(60kmph) on 27 minutes of battery and 4k shots from its camera.
But Wait…How Do I Afford All Of This?
You must be wondering- how on earth can I afford these. That makes sense seeing that the average item costs over $1000 (RM4,400).
Well, we have you covered with installment plans.
We already hear it: “ No way! Installment plans are just a way businesses con us and take our money with ridiculously high interest!”We actually agree with you. But…
What if we told you that these is a way you can pay through installments without any interest charged?
With OCBC’s Cashflo Credit Card, Malaysia’s only auto-installment card that automatically split your payments into monthly installments, you can get to divide that large sum to conquer it.
What’s more, you can even earn up to 1% rebate!
For payments below $1,000 (RM4,400), the amount would be split into a 3-month installment payment plan, while for those above that value, the amount would be split into a 6-month plan.
To make things simple, here’s a convenient infographic:
Thus, with the payments being spread over several months, the woes that come after a shopping spree are definitely alleviated.
The season of giving is upon us, so go forth and reward yourself and your loved ones!
*The RM value is calculated based on the US Dollar to Malaysian Ringgit exchange rate as on November 25, 2016: USD $1 = RM 4.40
This article was written in collaboration with OCBC. For more information on the payment program, refer to OCBC’s Cashflo Credit Card site.